WE APPRECIATE THAT THE MARITIME WORLD NEEDS IMMEDIATE RESPONSE TO PROBLEMS AND EXPERIENCED ATTORNEYS FAMILIAR WITH MARITIME BUSINESSES NEEDS AND ARE AVAILABLE 24/HR A DAY TO ASSIST
Matthew J. Valcourt practices all aspects of maritime law and marine insurance matters. He has handled major collisions, groundings, oil spills, maritime worker injuries and deaths, marine employer and longshore labor issues, P&I matters, pilot and captain licensing issues, limitation of liability and vessel arrests. He has a very active litigation and transactional practice for commercial vessels, shipping lines and recreational vessels. Matthew Valcourt is Board Certified in Admiralty and Maritime law, holds a degree in Marine Transportation, is the Past Chair of the Florida Bar Admiralty Committee and Past Chair of the Florida Bar Board Certification Committee for Admiralty and Maritime Law. He has a first-hand perspective of the maritime industry, having sailed as master or mate on passenger vessels, cruise ships, oil tankers, product tankers, chemical tankers, cargo vessels, mega-yachts, tugs, barges, dredges, container vessels, passenger excursion vessels, commercial fishing vessels, and charter fishing vessels. He currently holds a USCG Unlimited Chief Mate's License, A 3000 Ton Masters License ITC, and a 1600 Ton Masters License Any Oceans.
In addition to having his own law practice, he serves as outside counsel for a Florida Shipyard and a Tug and Barge company. He is in charge of reviewing all insurance coverage and risks for both ventures, including placing insurance coverage, EEOC Claims, and OSHA claims. He handles all types of marine insurance and marine related litigation, including coverage disputes, commercial disputes, liens and vessel seizures, cargo damage, collisions, and salvage and wreck removal. From his service with the U.S. Merchant Marine and educational background, he understands the shipping business and is able to skillfully resolve transportation-related disputes. In addition, on the transactional side, Matthew is involved with negotiation and drafting of contracts related to marine and CGL insurance, marine construction, Charter Party contracts, purchase and sale of assets, vessels and shipping lines and vessel financing. He also drafts bills of lading and contracts of carriage for passengers, service contracts, terminal agreements and general commercial agreements. He has developed a wide array of industry contacts in his 35 years in the marine business. Mr. Valcourt has also served as adjunct professor of Marine Insurance at the University of Miami School of Law
New England School of Law, J.D. 1995
Massachusetts Maritime Academy, B.S. Marine Transportation 1986
Gold Coast School of Real Estate
MITAGS- Various Courses Distrigas/Mass Fire Academy: LNG Handling and Firefighting Courses
AMO Star Center: BST Training, RADAR, Safety and First Aid
Professional & Civic Involvement:
The Florida Bar, Admiralty Law Committee, Board Certification Committee, Past Chairs
Maritime Law Association of the United States
Massachusetts Maritime Academy Alumni Association, Former Director
Propeller Club, Port of Tampa
Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
Fort Lauderdale Mariners Club, Skipper 2013
Florida Super Lawyers, (Admiralty and Maritime) 2006, 2008 – 2020
Speaking Engagements & Recent Publications:
• Author: Florida Maritime Law Practice, Florida Bar Chapter One-Jurisdiction 4th and 5th ed.
• Author: "That sinking feeling - liability for wreck removal for owners, operators, and waterfront facilities" Maritime News, November 2012.
• Author, “Know the Cause and Effect of Shipyard Repair and Insurance Contracts,” Maritime News, 1/2012.
• Author, “Regulation of Vessel Discharges Under New EPA Guidelines,” Maritime News, September 2011.
• Speaker: Florida Bar Admiralty Meeting: “Admiralty and Maritime Jurisdiction”, January, 2017.
• Speaker: “Anatomy of an Insurance Coverage Claim, Loss to Verdict” Tampa Bay Mariner’s Club , May, 2016.
• Speaker: "The Tripartite Relationship, Attorney, Insured & Insurer" Tampa Bay Mariner’s Club, May, 2013.
• Speaker: “Industry Responses To The Piracy Problem,” Florida Admiralty Bar Annual Meeting, 2011.
• Speaker: “Seizures and Forfeitures under Admiralty Rule G and CBP Laws,” Florida Bar Seminar, 2010.
• Speaker: “Hurricanes and Derelict Vessels,” Tampa Bay Mariner’s Club, 2009.
• Speaker: “Marina Operators’ Legal Liabilities under OPA-90,” Sarasota Yacht Club 2001
• Speaker: Spoiliation of Evidence in Insurance Claims: Duty to Preserve Evidence: Zurich Insurance 2004